If you missed last week’s devotional, we touched on three of the 5 Reasons You Are Not Using the Gifts and Talents God Gave You Pt. 1. Obeying God and living on purpose is something that must be prioritized in your life. God created you for a particular purpose and when you leave this earth and transition into eternity, you will give an account as to what you have done with your life.
11 For it is written, As I live, saith the Lord, every knee shall bow to me, and every tongue shall confess to God. 12 So then every one of us shall give account of himself to God. Romans 14:11-12 KJV
Below are the first three reasons, and we will conclude with the other two today.
- You’re Afraid to do what you’re called to do
- You’re too busy doing something else
- You’re Afraid of Failing So You Settled Along the Way
Read Part 1 here: 5 Reasons You Are Not Using the Gifts and Talents God Gave You Pt. 1.
So let’s finish exploring the additional reasons:
4. You Keep Buying Your Own Excuses
You became a slave to accepting excuses from yourself and you’re buying the thoughts that you allow to occupy your mind. This is dangerous, because you’re not supposed to just accept everything that falls into your mind. Every thought that you think is not your thought.
Philippians 2:5 KJV says, Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus:
Excuses are little lies that keep you average and mediocre, but as a child of the King you are more than that. His Holy Spirit that lives in you empowers you to do supernatural things.
Here are some of the excuses we make:
- I’m too busy
- I can’t do that
- I don’t have the money
- I don’t know where to start
- I don’t know how to do it
- I am too old
- I don’t have the education
MAKE PLANS GOD’S WAY WITH THE FREE DREAM BIG GOAL SETTING GUIDE!
You started to believe all of this stuff and as a result your life has followed suit. Much of where your life is now it is the result of what you are thinking and what you speaking. The good thing is that you recognize that you CAN’T do anything outside of the Holy Spirit working in you to do it.
But you CAN do all things through Christ!
11 I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. 12 I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. 13 I can do all this through him who gives me strength. Philippians 4:11-13 NIV
Obviously if we say this out loud and think these excuses over and over, they become grafted in our brain and our subconscious mind.
The Bible says, “As a man thinketh in his heart so is he”.
7 For as he thinketh in his heart, so is he: Eat and drink, saith he to thee; but his heart is not with thee. Proverbs 23:7 KJV
This can be changed and new habits can be developed with daily practice.
The excuses have to stop or they will certainly stop you from developing and using your gift.
Eliminate the excuses and refuse to keep letting that mind of yours rule your life.
5. You Don’t Know What Your Gifts/Talents Are
We all know what our gifts are.
Yes it’s true!
Your gift is anything that comes easy to you and something you love doing.
Exercising one gift can lead you into more of your gifts, but you have to start with what you have.
So many of us have more than one gift and every one of us knows of something we’re good at.
This does not mean we mustn’t still practice, develop, and perfect our gift.
Still convinced that you don’t know what your gift is?
Volunteer at your church, volunteer with us (Cure4theSoul), non-profits, or lend your skills to a small business owner that you know.
However, keep in mind that they will still ask you, what are you good at?
They will want to know where you fit with the availability they have.
The organization will match you to something based on your answer.
Instantly you will know if you fit or not.
Download this FREE 21 Days to Slay Your Fear – Bible Study NOW!
Examples of Gifts/Talents:
- Leadership (taking charge of situations, coaching, guiding)
- Administrative (organizing, arranging, writing, running the back and front offices, setting up corporate entities)
- Teaching (creating courses, writing curriculum, explaining things to people in various topics)
- Researching (digging deep for answers that are not easily found)
- Problem Solving (finding a way out of problems others find difficult)
- Sales/ Negotiating/Deal Making/Consulting/Marketing/Business (investing, and earning a profit by showing someone how what you offer can benefit them)
- Encouraging People/Public Speaking (Sharing something valuable in the form of speech in Churches, Schools, Businesses, etc.)
- Networking/Connecting People (It’s easy to connect with and build rapport with people)
- Performing/Visual Arts/Writing (Sing, write music, play instruments, acting, writing, draw, paint etc)
- Sports/Fitness/Nutrition (wellness, herbs, weight loss, meal prep, and natural healing)
- Building/Constructing/Carpentry (renovations, building furniture, constructing structures, architecture, etc.)
I’m sure I blasted off enough examples to get you going, but the examples should be more than enough to get you fired off.
When you eliminate what you’re not good at, you will gravitate towards what you are good at.
My Final Words
People I meet are always telling me what they always wanted to do. If the window of time has passed for a particular thing (dream) you like to do, you can always find a way to be in that field through teaching, coaching, mentoring etc.
You’ll have to eliminate the excuses and take a chance.
God does not keep your gift a secret if you are searching for it.
He tells you what it is so that you won’t waste twenty, thirty, and sixty years of your life doing something opposite of what you are to be doing. The goal of this post is to make you think and expose your fear that leads you to making excuses.
When the light is shined on the truth it’s exposed and has no more power. Don’t continue to waste your valuable years on this earth living beneath what you can.
Challenge yourself to make these excuses your slave instead of letting them enslave you.
Below, I want to hear your opinion on this and know what you have to add.
No matter what your reasons are, don’t let fear rob you of doing what you are placed here to do another day. Kick fear in the face by choosing to walk in the Power of the Holy Spirit. I want you to get started right away.
Also subscribe to the C4tS YouTube Channel for more videos on this subject and make sure you’re on the email list.